View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

Does anyone know of any non-anecdotal evidence that inpatient rehab is more successful than free peer support-based programs for helping alcoholics/addicts in general achieve sobriety for a long term (say, 1 year)?
I know of no such unbiased studies. One year, my X went through 3 rehabs in the span of a year and it did not work. He just could not/would not do it.
He mainly went because of outside pressure (me and job).
I will fess up as a F&F member. First time, I was truly hopeful. I thought it would be the magic pill and he would be fixed. After that, I was mainly glad to have him out of my hair somewhere where he was safe and not running on yet another drunken rampage. If you read on the friends and family forum, it is quite common. The first couple of times someone goes to rehab, their loved ones are all hopeful and excited but for those who have been through the mill, it's like "Bummer he is coming back already, I wish they would keep him".

Do people think there any particular kinds of addiction or addicts who really need or are likely to profit inpatient rehab, and why? When is inpatient the best option?
I think that some people can really benefit from being removed from their environment and spend time in a sober, safe place healing and building the foundations for a better life.
I am thinking especially of people who live in the hood or people who are in homeless shelters etc. which are drug and alcohol fueled environments.
Basically people who do not know any other way to live and who are surrounded by addicts and addiction.
I think that for people who live in a toxic environment, if they are willing to make a change, giving them an opportunity to go somewhere safe where they don't have to worry about their next meal or where they are going to sleep or about shootouts and violence is a big plus.
They can then truly focus on recovery rather than survival