View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
eJoshua
I'm here to learn!

Cura te ipsum, right?

I too suffered from abuse -- although at a young age. Getting to the root of it was part of my recovery process. The thing you have to keep in mind though, is that at this point in your life your addiction and your past hurt are like two weeds that have grown so long that their roots are intertwined and inseparable. I don't think you can deal with one without uprooting the other.

However you choose to go about this (addiction counselor, therapist, support group, etc.), I would say that the best approach is an all out attack -- get this thing on all fronts. At the risk of over-stretching an analogy, use the weed-be-gone, the axe, and your brute strength to uproot these weeds in your life.

Although I know nothing of your past beyond what you've shared in this post, I am sorry for your past hurt. Nobody should have to go through what you did. And yes, true recovery can be quite painful at times. Like any good gardener, we need to accept that we might be pricked by the rose bush as we prune it, but in the end the wounds will heal and the flowers will bloom.

Best wishes,
-Josh