View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
miamifella

Originally Posted by Turtle82 View Post
My sponsor's daughter, being anti-mommy and her's being AA, opted for expensive rehabs. She not only did not recover but, in my view, became an even more tortured soul.... .
I think you end up seeing a lot of bad stuff in rehab. I was in groups with incest survivors, incest perpetrators, expensive lawyers in denial, kids throwing their lives away, victims of violence, etc.

I learned a lot about what is out there...and a lot I could have done without knowing. I think it took away a lot of hope. I know I left with a more realistic view of things...but also more tortured.

I do wish they had explained more about the pathology of addiction. I would have liked to learn more about 12-step recovery. We were required to attend meetings daily and to have a sponsor to be released....but given that people at meetings stay away from the folks who are in rehab, I really did not get what it was about till after I left. But given that so much was against the tenants of therapy, that may have been a good thing.