View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Turtle82
Sober Alcoholic

A bucket of fears, shame, mistrust and a dismal view of humanity were some of my mental, emotional and spiritual issues as well as a genetically inherited physical addiction to alcohol. Spa rehabs were in their infancy when I got sober and only for the wealthy which wasn't me. All I knew was to call AA Central. Learning there, to completely turn my will and life over to my HP (God) my desire for alcohol left and has, thus far, not returned.

My sponsor's daughter, being anti-mommy and her's being AA, opted for expensive rehabs. She not only did not recover but, in my view, became an even more tortured soul.... sad story that includes total alienation, both created and supported by the rehab, from a mother who loved her deeply. The mental and emotional abuse my sponsor endured when the rehab required family attendance was horrific in my view supporting an addict/alcoholic's deflection rather than personal responsibility.

I don't get how any rehab that excludes the spiritual aspects of alcoholism can be successful over the long haul. Of course, I see love as spiritual so its probably just me.