Thread: He's home ...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Shelli.....I'm glad that you are seeing through his BS.
I have noitced that so many alcoholics that are not quite ready for genuine sobriety.....but, who do have their back up against the wall by the wife or the boss or some other "power" in their life.....will grab onto anything that does not have the word "alcoholic" attached to it. (AT LEAST, AT FIRST...LOL!).
They will try the compromise: "I'll agree to see a minister and/or priest.... and a therapist and a marriage counselor. Just don't ask me to go to AA".

I think that the very word "Alcoholic" carrys a big stigma for m any people---and, I think it may be especially true for males. (The image of a man in a gutter drinking wine out of a bottle in a paper bag).
It signifies the stereotype of a person that is flawed. A person that is looked down upon by society, in general.
It also implies that one must give up alcohol in their life. Last thing an alcoholic wants to hear--because they can't even imagine life without alcohol for a whole week-end.....never mind, forever.
As long as the word "alcoholic" is never officially used....they seem to think that their self-esteem is still intact...and, that they can find a way to have a drink, should they need one.....and, that it won't be necessary to shoulder the responsibility for their actions.

LOL!.....I realize that I am rambling on about this.

dandylion