View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

I heard this once and it clicked with me -

Alcohol was not my problem, it was my solution. It was my solution to washing away those feelings I had of being of less than, socially awkward, low self esteem etc. From a young age alcohol and other things simply became a tool to "get ready" for the day or the event/party - get ready for life.

The sharps edges became a little more rounded and allowed me to mask fears and anxieties I did not even know I had.

At some point this coping method became mandatory. The first drink lead to craving more and more. Others would say good night and go to bed - I could not. It was then a crap shoot of if or when I would stop. I guess like a light switch being flipped on but broken when trying to turn it off - it did not work till the bulb burned out.

Today I have begun to understand who I am and to deal with this wonderful, short, temporary life we have. I can start to truly be present in the moment and engage those I love in honesty.

I do no ponder too much now the physiological or psychological causes of my addiction - I nod at it, know it's there and respect not opening the cage.

Glad you're here, thanks for the post!