Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shelkat

First Post Ever - Weekend Binger Needs To Stop

Hi everyone, this is my first post ever.

Yesterday was a heavy duty day for my husband and myself. He got a DWAI about a year and a half ago and we went to court yesterday. Hired a top notch lawyer and expert witness on breathalyzer yet he was found guilty. His BAC was .063 (barely over the legal limit, he had 3 drinks that night, he was stopped for speeding and officer could smell beer, you know how the rest goes). Anyway, he's in for a long road with classes, community service, 10 days jail work release, fines, etc.

Neither of us drink during the week (except if on vacation). We work very hard, have a beautiful home, travel often and have had a great life together. On the weekends though, we will often binge drink on a Friday and/or Saturday night. We'll go to a concert, go dancing or whatever outing. Sometime we'll stay home and listen to music and have a dance party for hours - of course drinking. We've been doing this for about 10 years. He'll have hangovers the next day. I don't get hangovers too often anymore. Guess I'm used to it. Now life must change per court order. No more drinking for at least 2 years per the sentence that's coming. I know it will be easy not to drink during the week - we got that down - but when the weekend rolls around - that's when it will get hard. He has to quit. And he will. It's me that's the problem. I don't want to choose alcohol over my husband. It will be very difficult for me. I don't know how to do it. I've actually been mourning that our fun carefree life as we have known it has come to an end. I know I'm a weekend alcoholic binge drinker. I don't know how to stop. I'm obsessing about this and afraid that I can't do it. I don't want to let my husband down. He's not demanding that I stop or anything but I want to support him and don't want us to grow apart. So many mixed emotions.

Please help!