View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
1Dayatatyme

I watched a special that has twice now aired on my local PBS station about Baby Boomers and substance abuse issues and treatment options. I found it very interesting... as we all thought here, a lot of us BB's have company in that there are a number of us suffering with addiction issues. It showed an appallingly low number of treatment options devoted solely to the older generation. We are thrown in with the younger addicts and alcoholics. The good news is that there are good outcomes shown in that the older generation is likely to complete treatment.

I like the documentary in that one of the counselors being interviewed talked about how important it is for treatment providers to validate the fact that BB are bringing wisdom and experience from living so long with them when they enter treatment. Another interesting subject brought to light was that some GP's (general practitioners or family docs) don't ask about it because they don't want to know. I was kind of multi-tasking around that part of the documentary, so could have gotten this wrong, but instead of some GP's screening for it periodically some would rather not know. And with all the meds prescribed for this age group, I would think screening for substances, especially alcohol, would be done.

Sorry if this is a bit scattered I am babysitting, and S is all over the place!