View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Originally Posted by LadyOwl View Post
.... not sure if this one is the official Laundry List or was the building blocks of it....
The building blocks of the list, and much of everything ACoA-ish, is in the books by Claudia Black and Stephanie Brown; "It will never happen to me." That was back in 1980, since then there have been _hundreds_ of books for us ACoA's. The first couple decades every book had it's own "laundry list", one book actually had _100_ items listed.

I'm not sure where they got the list we have here on SR. The authors of all the various lists try to be as generic and inclusive as possible in order to appeal to the largest possible number of peeps. It is not expected that _everybody_ will identify with _all_ the items.

Originally Posted by LadyOwl View Post
....but it feels weird to me in a way. ....
Yeah, me too. One of my "ACoA issues" is a need to be perfect. Completely, totally, no excuses perfect. I know it's an issue because who would want to be perfect about being emotionally injured? Like does anybody want to have the perfect cancer?

Not checking off _all_ the items in the list makes me feel like I don't belong here, like I am somehow an imposter. Naturally, feeling like I don't belong _anywhere_ and that I am "faking it" through life is another of my "issues". Which means I can get myself in some truly complicated tangles of logic just trying to check off 13 little items on a list.

No wonder I belong here

Mike