Old 04-20-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
chordcowboy

compulsiveness - going with the grain - just a thought...

Hello all

Well, it is day 4 for me having got to day 30 on my first attempt. I have, naturally enough, been pondering what brought me to suddenly, and without too much inner debate drink a few beers, then quite a few beers!!!

Well, I can now see that it was coming for several days and that I had actually concluded those internal negotiations at least 48 hours before I actually partook!

So what can I do better this time? Well lots of things but here is just one thought.

I was determined not to do anything compulsively to replace drinking - but to step out of compulsion as a reason to do anything. But, the truth is I am a pretty compulsive person - and it ain't easy.

In the past, I have got into exercising quite compulsively and this time I only exercised very moderately so as not to go down that route.

But, I am thinking that a little obsession on the exercise front might not be a bad thing for a while. It makes me very health focussed and very thoughtful about what I consume.

Perhaps I should just allow myself to become a little immersed in that during early sobriety and not worry too much about the compulsiveness of it. A case of going with the grain and working with my personality rather than against it.

I don't ever get to extremes, just about an hour a day of running and free weights. But I do get so that I kind of have to have it or I can get pretty restless.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences, that is for sure.

Thanks a lot

CC