View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Update

I'm sorry to report that my sister was diagnosed with lung cancer a week ago Tuesday. Though her doctors are optimistic, her prognosis isn't great. Lots of crying since then.

Mary Ann remains an active participant in her recovery in terms of diet and other lifestyle changes. She's planning on taking a spin class and maybe yoga. She met with her boss last week, and he said she'd done more to help the bank in the ten months she's been there than her predecessor did in five years. He's willing to fight for her and do whatever it is she'd like to do. I wasn't surprised and, knowing her as I do, and something about their relationship, I told her that this is what I imagined would happen beforehand. She's very much leaning towards making a clean break from work for several reasons, one of which is to use the time for things she'd like to do rather than working.

The news knocked me out as well. Until now, I couldn't bring myself to comment on it here on SR. I'm spending a lot of time with her, making sure she has what she needs. I took on additional work, since she may need financial support as well. Though she's prepared well for her retirement, cancer treatment can bankrupt anyone, even someone with the best insurance. I experience intermittent mood swings, something which is new to me, as well as spells of anxiety, which is also new to me. Though I continue to take care of myself, I've temporarily lost something inside.

I get strength from many of the people who post here, though I must admit that I've lost some of my compassion for people who refuse to take care of themselves, here and in the real world as well. I just don't have anything to offer them.

On a more positive note, I remain in awe at both the quality and the tremendous amount of support that people offer here, both to me and others.

Thank you all again and, as always, it makes a difference.