View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
jarp

Depending on the laws of your country, involuntary commitment can be incredibly difficult. In Australia the Mental Health Aact makes it almost impossible (I.e. The Act recognises the rights of individuals to make really bad decisions about their own lives). There would be virtually NO chance of having someone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I found this so hard to believe. My RAH ended up in the ER 4x last year and each time I was SURE that someone, somewhere in the system would recognise that he needed treatment and that he wasn't 'able' to make that decision for himself.

Funny that the experts knew more that I did :rolleye

When RAH wanted to get treatment, he was resourceful enough, and sane enough to go search that out. I found it hard to ever believe he'd be 'able' to do that....his behaviour was truly...crazy. The first trip to the ER I arrived and 4 security guards were holding him down. Other times he'd self harmed or attempted suicide...I thought...what on earth does someone have to do until someone sees he is insane!!!!

so I can see the dilemma.

But have faith....he has the tools, if he wants to get treatment he will. It can be very hard respecting the rits of individuals to make choices for themselves....even if that choice looks crazy...