View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Bmac
Court jester

Hello Seeker! Welcome here. You bring up an interesting topic. When I was 21, I went to rehab and was released into the rooms of AA. I remained in AA for 8 years. I found that AA became too much "our way is the only way" and began to resent those who would claim someone is a dry drunk or heading for relapse if they did not attend meetings or work the steps. So I left AA and remained sober for another 15 years. I chose to drink again after 23 years NOT because I was not "working a program" or "working the steps". I simply drank because I wanted to know if I was truly an alky. When I realized that I was indeed unable to drink "normal", I just up and quit before suffering any real consequences and before hitting any bottom.

Today, I do attend AA meeting 3-4 times per week, but ONLY for the social benefit of being around like minded people with the same goal. I do not own a big book nor do I plan to work any steps, frankly, because I do not agree with many of the premises of the steps, particularly the idea of seperatism; that we are seperate from God (for lack of a better term), that we have innate flaws that only God can fix and it is our goal to seek out this God "out there" somewhere and surrender our lives to his almighty power in hopes that he will "fix" me since I am unable to do that on my own.

But that's just my experience and my feelings. Each of us in recovery has their own perceptions that WORK for them. As such, I do not feel there is a "right" or "wrong" way to find the spiritual change that is necessary to remain sober long term. Only YOUR way which ultimately IS the right way. I say this not to be an AA basher, like I said, I attend meetings and consider them an integral part of my recovery. It's just not the method I use to affect spiritual change in my life.

Hope you stick around. SR is truly a gift to me and is another integral part of my recovery plan.