View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
shestruggles

Hi there:

My experience: I'm currenlty on suboxone, and it's worked quite well for me. I, like your daughter, have no problem detoxing (well, I can/have done it countless times over the last 10 years), but it was the constant cravings that sucked me back in. I feel that suboxone is allowing me some time to learn how live without being high. I have literally no cravings right now, for the first time in 10 years!

A big problem with using pills/dope is that you literally forget how to live and ****** your social and emotional well-being. The opiate blocker might help her put her life back together. I have been working really hard while I am on the sub, changing my daily routines - I eat better, I exercize, I cut out all contact with drinkers/druggers and trying trying to get some new hobbies - reading, cooking and riding my bike - all stuff I have not done in years. I am having a he!! of a time getting back in touch with my brain(?) and am seeing a therapist to help me with that.

So, overall, I think it's the best thing that ever happened to me. I believe it is a real option for those who continualy detox, but then go back. The best way I can describe it is that it 'buys you some time' to prepare for and adjust to a drug free life. Also, you can't abuse the pills to get high, you just get sick.

As for how 'addictive' it is - that seems to vary. It is a type of opiate, so there will be wd's when I come off it, but it won't be the same. You're not going from 'high' to rock bottom. My hope is that I will have built up enough strength and love for living 'not high' that I will have more of a chance when I'm on my own.

All of the best to you and your family. Please keep us posted.

Much Love: SS