View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DrunkenDonuts

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I agree with the others that antabuse is not cheating...but it's not a recovery plan either.

Annais absolutely right here:

I craved drinking. To stop that craving I had to change as a person. My priorities had to change. The way I dealt with life had to change.

You cant get that change without making changes

D
I currently take antabuse along with blood pressure medication and anti-depressants. I feel that there are a lot of people on here who don't like Antabuse. Why? I don't know. Nearly everyone seems to espouse the virtues of this recovery plan or that group which may assist you in quitting.

If Antabuse doesn't do any harm in the long term, then why can't it be a recovery plan? People take medication their entire life to stay healthy. This is the same thing in my opinion.

The very fact that someone has reached the point where they take a pill which could potentially kill them speaks volumes to their willingness to quit. Also, because they aren't drinking, their lifestyle IS different. Over time, other things will naturally take the place of the time that used to be spent drinking.

I feel that this IS a demonstration of the fact that Amanda has reached her decision to quit, and this is merely an aid in helping her much like AA or anything else.

To anyone who thinks this is a cheat, I'll tell you a story...
I drive to and from work every day. On the way home there is a stretch of road which is heavily congested, but there is a lane on the left fairly fast-moving because there is an exit up ahead and it's a left-turn only lane.

I used to sit in one of the other three lanes like a good boy, watching people speed past in that left hand lane and then merge into one of the three lanes right near the exit. This really annoyed me, because I thought that if everyone played by the "rules" then it would make it better for all. But then I realised that wasn't ever going to happen because we are human. So what did I do?

I'm now one of those people who zoom past in the left lane and merge later. This saves me about 10 minutes stuck in traffic each day. To those following the rules or the norm, feel free to get angry with me. I'll be at home having a ginger beer while you're still in the traffic being angry.

And well done Amanda. You have done good.