View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sva777
Adventurer

Originally Posted by FLGuy34 View Post
I can't say "I've been where you are," because everyone's life is different, but the feelings you described-- the anxiety, the inability to sleep, the pounding heart, the feeling that irreversible damage has been done, the flashbacks, the regrets, the feeling that sober life is going to be one miserable, empty day after another...... this is alcohol withdrawal. The first few days can be really tough, but they FEEL a LOT LONGER than they actually ARE.

Your body will heal itself. I've done research on this. Even the brain repairs itself for the most part, and you will feel sharp again.

At first, alcohol is the center of your life. Then when you quit, what replaces the alcohol as the center of your life is the withdrawal. But the withdrawal goes away. The storm passes, and things become peaceful.......and boring. That's where you need something else to become the center of your life. A hobby, friends, exercise, something. Find something to fill that gap, and you won't need to drink anymore.

I did it for 5 years. I didn't have a sip of anything but water and soda. What I filled my life with was drawing and music. I came up with some impressive stuff. Message me sometime if you want, I'll send you a link, as an example of what sobriety can bring out in a person.

Good luck.
I am going to have to agree with what FL said. All those doom scenarios we play out after quitting drinking are effects of the withdrawal. It will pass over time and you will start to forget you ever felt that bad. This of course is why you need a plan so you don't fall back into allowing yourself to drink again.