View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pedagogue

Originally Posted by jaxees
I have finally addressed the ptsd by getting on a plane and flying with my entire family- I did take a xanax but I got on the plane. I have face down and lived through the repeatative thoughts, I am no longer obsessed about the woman he cheated with. I feel really good. I feel really loved. I see the faces of my children and knwo they also feel the harmony and appreciate it.

I guess I am looking for a way to treat the remaining symptoms of ptsd and the drinking at the same time.

Can I just do it?

Is reaching out here enough.
First off....welcome to the forum.

You have definately been through a lot and you are a survivor, that is the first thing to acknowledge. It sounds like you have started on the road to recovery, but I think you still have a bit farther to travel. Because you have had multiple instances of trauma, you will probably need to address them seperately (since they involve different aspects of your life). If you still have a drinking problem, I strongly suggest taking care of that FIRST. Alcohol (and substances in general), can complicate PTSD recovery 10x, because you need a clear mind (and body) to work through your PTSD. Self medication is incredibly common for PTSD survivors, but it is a damning cycle because you numb yourself from the trauma, but also from the recovery.

People approaching their drinking problems differently, but I would suggest a 12-step program. There is a great forum on SR for AA . I think you need to jump into a program and commit yourself to sobriety.

Tackling your remaining PTSD issues is next. They have local support groups (depending on the trauma). Also, seeing a therapist one on one can be effective. There are options through your healthcare coverage, or through a community mental health center. It sounds like you have made some strides to get past your trauma, but I believe you will still have some work to do. Working with a professional can help sort out some of the underlying issues, and then from there you can choose to continue with them or transition over to a support group.

I hope these suggestions help. Please don't be a stranger, and spend some time surfing the different forums in SR. There is a lot of great information here, and even greater people.

-pedagogue