View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
brightdaysahead

Originally Posted by cookiesncream View Post
Have you considered couples counseling in addition to your individual counseling to tackle this issue?
I agree with Cookies. I think couples counseling in addition to individual therapy (for each of you) would be beneficial. In the very least, the couples counseling might give both of you better tools to handle disagreements and arguments with one another. Here's an example of how counseling has helped my husband and me so far.

We've only started marriage counseling three weeks ago. He's 90 days sober. Anyway, during one session, we unpacked a recent disagreement. I thought, for sure, my husband handled it incorrectly. What I learned... While my husband did indeed handle it incorrectly, I contributed to the heated conversation as well. It was so subtle - I didn't even know I did it. I didn't give him the benefit of doubt. I was quick to distrust him (given all his dishonesty with alcoholism). In this particular instance, he only had the best of intentions, but I chose to see it differently.

Sometimes, it's the subtle stuff - that can unknowingly enter into the mix and wreck more havoc...if one isn't careful.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to you. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.