View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cookiesncream

Though I'm the one in recovery in my situation the fact he isn't learning new ways of handling his anger with his therapist is concerning to me. Three months isn't very long in the world of sobriety. I will say that while I attended a three month intensive outpatient rehab last year that there was a session on anger management each week. I faced many issues but anger wasn't my particular one. However this was such a common thing in addiction that they set aside a whole session every week for this very topic. If his therapist isn't dealing with this I have concerns about what he is getting out of this since that is a rather important thing. Have you considered couples counseling in addition to your individual counseling to tackle this issue? Another thing I would strongly suggest is getting your hands on the book/series of books by Henry Cloud. Google boundaries and Henry Cloud and there is a whole series. While it is Christian based there is so much value in those books that the religious aspect can easily be skipped over.

In my relationship it is my non-alcoholic partner who has been prone to rages and I have tended to retreat much to my own detriment. He is very active in Al-Anon but as I progress in my own recovery I'm realizing how my own failure to set boundaries led to my addiction in the first place. I strongly suggest reading at least one of them. They are available in a number of formats. I think the suggestions in them would serve you, and anybody out there on either side of the addiction fence, well. In fact in my own recovery group I will be starting a book study on this very topic.

You are correct however. If an alcoholic never deals with the issues that led to their addiction the potential for relapse is VERY high.

Best of luck to you,

Cookies