Thread: DD is cutting
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
freetosmile

DD is cutting

Ahhhhh!!!

So I found out through my 12 year old daughter that my 14 year old dd is cutting herself......

My initial reaction was anger. WHY????? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!? (I didn't say that, of course). Then I wondered if she was doing it for attention, because she posted something about it on instagram (I don't follow her on that app- so I was clueless)....

Then I decided to do some research and found out that my reactions to this behavior are apparently pretty common for parents.

I did talk to dd about it. I told her we knew what was going on and that it hurt me so much to see her injuring herself in that way. I asked her why she was doing it, and she said she didn't want to talk about it. ( Not like she doesn't have a reason to be in turmoil with everything that has been going on around here the past 6 months--- PLUS being a young teenager is hard enough).
I just told her we loved her and were here for her and that I wish she wouldn't do that to herself. According to T, that was the best thing to do. She'll be going to counseling once a week now.

AHHHH! The codie side of me wants to FIX FIX FIX !! WHY are doing you doing this? What do I need to do to MAKE you stop? WHY don't you want to talk to me??? You're doing this because I'm a horrible mother aren't you?? You hate me.... and so on.

I haven't said any of that, but I'm reeeeaaallly upset about this and the codie part is rearing it's ugly head.