View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
matilda123

Detachment vs withdraw: advice needed

Right now I'm facing a situation at work where some unethical things are happening to people with very little power. I have some power, which has nothing to do with merit or specialness, but more to do with the structure of where I work. I want to be involved and believe I should but I also feel myself getting very upset as I sit in conversations with people with power and (it seems) poor ethics and do this work. IN the past, I would drink to numb, which is no longer an option. What I want to do as a result is withdraw. What is the happy medium here? For those of you who do activist work or face a similar situation where you are up against some powerful machinery, how do you detach without withdrawing?

I realize too that, historically, in my personal life I have been a poor detacher, and when things get rough with family or lovers I can either stick in there and take a lot of abuse (literally in some cases) or run for the hills. So there is a life lesson here for me to pick up, for sure.