View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gooch

while your turning your will and life over today, remind yourself that God's gotten you through so many things, He has carried tour sponsee through as well for .. 25 years.

Probably the most difficult thing for me to do sometimes is to do what I neeed to to take care of myself and let other people learn to take care of themselves.

What is a sponsor?

THe powerful example that has been set is that a sponsor is a shoulder to cry on, a ride to meetings, someone who will pay for our coffee, etc. etc.

It's no wonder the newcomers don't want to see step work as a priority. Not that the relationship that can develop shouldn't have those acts of generosity or love, nor that we shouldn't or can't become good friends with a sponsor or sponsee, but i think that the example thats set may be a long way from "a guide through the 12 steps of NA".

I have a great sponsor.. sometimes I learn so much through his trials and errors, and the difficulty he has seperating his humanity from his disease. Then in another instant i can see him absolutely, unwaveringly apply spiritual principles. We learn a lot together, and he takes advantage of my mechanical ability sometimes, so every once in a while we get to practice the practical applications of spiritually "dealing with dissatisfaction in services" or "getting a deadbeat to pay up" .

Your sponsee is in the best care in the world and so are you. So when you are out sitting in the middle of the Potomac in the rain, remember you could have just as easily been being a good little control freak, and cheating someone else out of the opportunity to discover their strengths and weaknesses. I say this tongue in cheek, but the Boss has lots of batters warming up in the bullpen, somebody else may need to step up to the plate while "mommy" goes fishing.

(Love ya kiddo .. we expect pictures of the trophy catch)