View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Marcus

I know the steps are the program, but meetings were a huge help for me especially early on before I had an understanding of the steps and worked them with my Sponsor. Yes I can call my sponsor, but going to big book meetings and step meetings just made sense to me.

Luckily we have plenty of options here in Chicago so it was very easy to make 2 meetings a day in the beginning. The 6:30 am meeting was a great way to start my day before work. It isn't like 90 in 90 is some magic number, but it does set a good foundation. I also enjoy the fellowship and have made some great friends in AA.

Tonight is my wanderers group where we have a group of 7 guys and rotate whose house we are at each week. Start with a reading or step and everyone comments on that and then basically talk about where we are at and how our week is going. It is not a typical meeting (more cross talk, and laughter, and gets quite serious at times). It is definitely my favorite meeting of the week. I don't go out of fear of drinking, but because I enjoy going and get a lot out of it so why stop now?