View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IWLSAST

Hello Undies,

Thanks Dee for another thread.

I actually have a "tell someone story" to share. Not all that exciting, but I thought I would finally tell my PCP that I am an alkie. So at my check up yesterday, I did tell him. Yes, my Dr is actually someone I should tell.

It was also in part an amends because I told him that even though it wasn't my drug of choice, I would get 30 percocet's at my bi-annual visits faking back pain for a cheap $5 high.

While I really do at times get back pain I can alleviate it simply by taking the time to stretch and ice. No, I would get those 30 pills and take them over like 4 days and live in some altered world. I'd miss them when the were gone, even count them down, but the craving would just go away quickly. Never the case with AL...I mean booze.

He was very cool about it. In the past we often just talked about world events, politics (we agree), ACA (affordable care act), elderly care that we shared, and one time he was saying he didn't quite understand what I did in converting bank branches...crazy, he wanted minute details. Good Dude, for sure. Yesterday it was addiction and the virtues of the Whole 30 diet that I am about to undertake to cleanse my body. He gave it a big thumbs up. Not a fad diet thing...just all and most importantly ONLY the right organic things.

His take on addiction was interesting. He said that it runs rampant. Varies from the truly life threatening like drugs and alcohol to internet, cell phones, tv, food...etc. He said that he feels it is a major CAUSE of depression. Not the other way around...was exactly that way for me. Depression was simply episodic for me...quit drinking and it went away. Not true for all forms of depression, though.

I just did an Evelyn Wood of past posts. Haha, those Sr's of us will recognize Evelyn as the creator of the first speed reading technique. Anyway, I did read something about future worry about dating and wanting to drink.

What has worked for me is a more general approach...not dating specific. I simply no longer allow myself to live in the future for anything...good or bad. I did that for decades. The worst thing that living robed me of was gratitude. How could I ever be grateful for what I had if I always wanted more?

On the rebound, Undies...

Carlos

PS: NYM, if you remember, I have MSU and KY in my pool. Two of final 4. Give me that final and it is party time! That party will include my driving to see my baby g-daughter again to deliver SIL's bounty...as well as a nice contribution to the huge piggy bank I brought her last week....fingers crossed!!