View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by TSnelling View Post
My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years , 3 of the 5 have been using opiates . I have watched him detox and relapse multiple times . This last detox lasted 7 days and then relapsed . He told me because I was stressing him out . We have a 2 year little girl . With this last relapse I kicked him out of our house . He is now asking me if he can come home to detox ... That's where I'm stuck
I don't know what the right thing to do is ? I don't really want me and my daughter to go through this again . Anyone with experience with this ? I just need help !

Thank you !
TS...I see you're relatively new to us, so Welcome to the Board. I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this, but grateful that you've found us and have reached out for support.

I'd like to point something out here:

This last detox lasted 7 days and then relapsed . He told me because I was stressing him out
Don't believe a word of this. He relapsed because, as with his other relapses, he gave himself permission to do so. When he relapses, what he's effectively doing is putting his addiction first. It comes before you, and it comes before your 2 year old girl.

It is a lot of hard work to come off any sort of drug, but opiates are especially brutal. Until he decides that he's done, follows that up with a course of treatment, and has a plan in place to not relapse, this cycle will continue unabated.

I encourage you to not allow him home. Why not? Well, three big reasons. The first reason is safe detoxing from opiates can only be done in a controlled environment. The second reason is if you do allow him home, he'll continue to assume he can do anything he wants and not pay a price. You've dealt with his act for 3 years now. It's time he experiences the consequences of his actions. The third reason is he's not to be trusted around your daughter. Period.

There are plenty of women here who've been in similar spots. Seek out their posts, read them, and absorb as much as you can. Knowledge is key right now, and the only one that can turn this around is him. And until you have tangible evidence that he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, I wouldn't trust a thing that comes out of his mouth.

Please, be safe...and again, Welcome to the Board.