View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ErinGoBragh
In search of myself

There was a final straw in 2005. But I got over it. There was a final straw in 2007. But I got over it. There was a final straw in ... well, you get my drift.

The final straw was I just gave up wishing, hoping, and praying my AH would change. Maybe he would, in his own time, but he was wasting MY TIME.

It boiled down to me wasting the one life I have hanging around in the hopes he would see the light and seek real sobriety. I was sick and tired of watching countless scenes of insanity. And, yes, I remember who he was before the alcoholism warped him into someone I no longer recognized.

Although I no longer recognized him, I no longer recognized ME either. I was crazy, sick, downright loony. Granted, I hated who he had become, but I hated myself even more. I was ashamed of what I was and who I was.

Pulled the plug, left, and never went back. We had sporadic interactions several years after I left, but I pulled the plug for good in January 2014. I am relieved I finally got on with my life. Loved him then, love him now. But I couldn't subject myself to his disease any longer.