Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kk1k5x

I agree nymets. Of course those who have more years on their side can attest to a lot more than we do. I've never known myself to be a person who learns from others' mistakes, though. But obviously, this, recovery and most of the circumstances are so different for people, that there is no one particular way of thinking or being that suits everyone.
What I've found most helpful on SR is the forum section where people share their stories when they've been sober for a year. Because I can relate to real-life events, it is more difficult with abstractions.
It's the same for me - although I've had trouble going to class (all the hangovers and the ensuing anxiety, shame etc) - nothing serious has happened with my health, now my job and my ongoing university studies. But the signs were very clearly there, meaning the signs as to where I was headed if I decide to continue.
The only thing about getting that 'Never drink again' quote is that it includes no explanation as to why someone should do that. For a person that has been around the block more than a few times, it's more about coming to grips with the state of thing. For someone troubled by the effects of alcohol abuse in the earlier days, the lack of an explanation is probably what leaves that vacuum between an introduction and a conclusion.

Some years back when I was contemplating giving up the drink (for good), I simply overwhelmed myself. Because alongside quitting drinking, I envisaged a total remake of my entire life. Eat healthy, work out, read more, be social etc. The usual drunken daydreaming, really. But I failed, because I overburdened myself.
Another thing was the difference between want/need. I felt I needed to be sober (meaning it was for something else, not for sobriety itself) and as soon as the obligation was done, I relapsed. It was 9 months to the day and there was not a single doubt in my mind that I wanted to drink. This time around I want to be sober for sobriety's sake. I enjoy all the benefits it brings and do not see it as an obligation. Hence my calm (which I didn't feel the last time around).

But as I said and as we know, it's all different for different people.

Thanks for the good wishes!