View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MissDaisy

I'm 27 days sober today. My addict voice sometimes starts to act up and tell me that I'm not a "real" alcoholic". I also gave up alcohol quite easy once I realized that I had to. This past month has been quite easy for me. I go to AA everyday and hear the stories of people who got mutliple DUI's and have been in and out of Detox and Rehab for several years, people who drank in the morning because of their physical shakes, people who lost their homes and their families...My addict voice starts telling me...well you only drank at night after the kids went to bed...you never got a DUI...no shakes for you...you must not be a "real alcoholic" and you can control yourself. The problem with this thinking is that I know that I cannot have 1 drink. I know that I do not drink like normal people who can have a glass of wine and not want more. I am an alcoholic, regardless of how severe or not. Do I really need to continue drinking and let my life eventually spiral out of control to prove it to myself? No thank you. I'm exiting on this floor and am grateful that I didn't have to lose it all before I sought help.