View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
BlueChair

Yesterday I was saying how I was taught not to compare my situation with other people. And I said this because the rehab counselors told me initially. And the Beyond Addiction book says this too.

In counseling things are specific to the person and my exact situation and how I deal with things, my perspective as an individual. Like some people cant work through an affair but it doesnt mean my husband and I cant. The parts of craft that are about helping work the same way. Some people will learn skills and communication will improve even if someone is still drinking or drugging. But doesnt mean it will happen for my friend.

This is a question, and Im thinking could this be another "difference"?

Like Charley said, one AA slogan Ive heard is "it works if you work it" and "keep coming back" these ideas make me feel the burden of success is on the person, and imply the program works for all.

Do people think Craft says this too?

And because Craft supports the medical/science view of how family has significant influence and can be of "help" to the spouse THEN people feel it implies what they are used to in AA approaches? The program doesnt fail, we do? Therefore they feel guilt?

None of that is true. These programs dont promote these concepts. And these are also not "life" programs. Craft teaches skills and how to use them in your life. Smart teaches skills and how to apply them in your life. You are expected to stop using the programs at some point. Although Smart always says people can return any time, or if they need more support then use the groups continuously.

I hope what I posted makes sense. I am trying to use the thread to learn if we think differently on various things. It would explain a lot to me where I was confused before.