View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
QuickBen

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I wasn't discussing the "thrust of the article." I was commenting on the OP's assertion that there is something useful in posting negative biases against any particular program or treatment, in this case, AA. "AA didn't or would not work for me," versus "12 steppers tend to be closed minded when it comes to "different strokes for different folks" and they often fail to recognize [there] are other ways for people to get sober." There are clearly two different sentiments being expressed here, regardless of the intent. If nothing else, the accusation of being "close minded" is, within the context of this thread, ironic.

There may be room for it, but what utility do such "opinions" carry, and where does the need to make them come from?

This is clearly a caricature and an exaggeration for those of us who've achieved sobriety with the help of AA, as well as for those who haven't. The notion that anything is not an effective remedy for certain conditions by virtue of the fact of its "age" is misguided. Aspirin, penicillin, psychotherapy...Again, this is a contradiction of the conviction or statement that "they [12 steppers] often fail to recognize [there] are other ways for people to get sober." There is essentially a disconnect between the statement that "[there] are other ways to get sober," and expressing "anti-AA" opinions.

When one is endorsing a range of methods to achieve sobriety, and then states that those who don't appreciate this are, therefore, close minded, then the boomerang comes back twice as hard.
So you're essentially saying that any line of questioning put to closeminded folks is inherently closeminded itself, and thus ironic/contradictory/hypocritical? And as such all those who might be pursuing closeminded lines of thinking can't be interrogated on the basis of closemindedness?

That seems like a logical fallacy to me.