Thread: Seeking Advice!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! For me, I had to focus on sobriety as my first priority. I had to want to stay sober more than I wanted to drink.

I also kept myself busy in early recovery. I walked my dogs a lot, most every time I got a serious urge to drink, I walked my dogs instead. They got a lot of walks and I stayed sober!

Support is essential too. Do you have the support of family or friends in real life? SR works for many, but others need more support in their efforts. For some, a program like AA or AVRT works well. I needed counseling at first.

Find what you need and use it to keep yourself sober. And come here a lot. Post your feelings instead of drinking over them. If you get the urge to drink, post instead.

The most important is the most simple: don't drink. Just don't do it, no matter what. Start a gratitude list every day. Go out of your way to be kind. Enjoy each moment of your life. But don't drink, no matter what.

I hope we can help you stay sober.

The three day period you mention when you don't feel 'right'. That's probably withdrawals. They can be dangerous so if you are in withdrawal and it gets bad, seek medical help.