View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ChiefBromden

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
I've honestly been preferring a 1.2 ohm coil at about 22 watts lately. Good taste and decent clouds. Sub ohm is cool but I find a big flavor sacrifice sometimes with higher wattage
I've been saying for a while now that sub-ohm has mostly become meaningless with the availability of higher powered devices.

Sub-ohm coils used to be the only way to get more power out of a mechanical device: given the fixed (more or less) voltage going from 4.2 to 3.5 volts, the only way to up the wattage was building low ohm coils. This was not without risk, as these setups can be quite unsafe if you don't know exactly what you are doing with your batteries.

Now even the relatively cheap iStick gives you 50 watts, so you can use or build the coils that work best for you regardless of their resistance.

On the other hand, with temperature controlled devices (DNA40 and SXMini M in a couple of weeks) because of the type of wire being used you work at 0.10 to 0.20 ohm, making the term "sub ohm" even more meaningless. It's a marketing gimmick right now, nothing more.

Personally, even though I have more devices and wire gauges than I can remember, I prefer building a 1.4 to 1.6 ohm coil running at 13 to 15 watts. These coils (28g, 7 wraps) heat up immediately but also cool down just as quickly - which means instant vapor and no "burning with no airflow" afterwards keeping the coils cleaner.

Still happily on 6mg and I can foresee in a few months that I'll go down again to something like 3mg. Nothing to do with willpower or anything, just happening organically it seems.