View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Berrybean

"...it goes a lot deeper than a throwaway desire to just get wasted, it runs into ingrained, inappropriate emotional and mental coping methods built up since childhood. " (Lycanlaz)

Yep. Fear of the situation. Avoidance (I've seen lots of pics of me as a small child standing there with my eyes closed, wishing it would all go away and desperately hoping that if I couldn't see it, it wasn't happening. Then, when I got to early teens I discovered alcohol and had a whole new way of 'shutting my eyes'.) It's only recently (in my 40's ) that I've started growing up past that teen-level, and working on my arrested-development and those ingrained, inappropriate emotional and mental coping methods. Funny thing is how much of my guilt over situations had actually manifested in anger with the person I'd wronged because the guilt was so horrible. SO messed up. Thank God for AA and The 12-Step programme. I'd never have seen it all otherwise, let alone be able to take responsibility and try to get better.

Also, he may well of only intended to have a couple to steady his nerves... but we all know what happens after a couple with alcoholics.

Not saying you don't deserve better. Just that, despite appearances, his behaviour isn't necessarily a reflection of how much he cares about or loves you.