View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
redatlanta

I seldom drink. When I met RAH who was living in another state I drank at least twice a week I'd say. I had recently cut down up until I was 42 (I am 47 now) I was probably out 3 - 4 nights a week.

And when I say drink... well at least 5. Sometimes more. Alcoholic? Nope. Never craved it. Just habit.

So when RAH moved in he said I can live with someone who drinks every once in a while. I can't live with someone who drinks a lot. Can't live with someone who gets drunk period. I stopped drinking. Thing is I never missed the booze, but I missed the camaraderie of the after work cocktails till 8. After not having a hangover for about 6 months I didn't miss anything involving drinking. I also noticed I had a lot more money.

I would guess in a year I might have 10 drinks. I can't remember the last time I got really buzzed. Now when I meet friends I have one max or none at all. What I have been able to accomplish is pretty huge IMO. I opened my own business and have been taking care of my parents in another state. I really don't think I could have done this if I was still in my former pattern. I also feel good Every - single - day. I get up at 6. By the time my friends are getting up I have 3 hours of work done. Its freaking awesome.

In hindsight I was as lucky as any human on this earth. I drove drunk/buzzed a hell of a lot for a hell of a long time and didn't get caught. If I could have all the money back...OMG. Oh well. Happy that's another life.

Congrats on your decision. Ya it seems like it will be hard because its what everyone in your circle does; however, as you change you will find other interests. You can still go and hang out and it won't bother you one bit that everyone is drinking and you're not. You might find intolerance to drunk people which I have now.