View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Florence

Hey this is great. I have to say, when I was with my XAH, before I realized he was a full blown alcoholic, we did a lot of drinking together. A LOT. I was no stranger to recreational drugs as a teenager and young adult, and liked the hard-drinking, rock n roll lifestyle. It was fun for me for awhile.

But over time I've realized that it's expensive, unhealthy, and comes tied to a lot of yucky feelings and memories, and my choice to drink is now exercised under pretty controlled settings and at a vastly lesser volume than before. I drink like a normie, not someone who came of age around addicts and alcoholics, as I once did.

I went a couple of years without a drink at all (as well as making other major life changes, like counseling and a divorce) and it reset my priorities quite a bit. I still have a hard time not smoking, and still hang on to my one cigarette a day after the kids are in bed and I have some time to myself, but I'm phasing that out too. For me, and it sounds like for you too, a major step towards health was beginning to untangle myself from my parents. I had a very codoependent relationship with my mother that was mutually destructive. Being financially independent has meant the world to me.

Applause to you. You're not alone in this journey, and I am confident this evolution will last my lifetime. It's a good thing.