View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mel12
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by sammyjac1 View Post
Has anyone who has quit over and over feel they've permanently ruin their brains?
Recovery feelings of chronic anxiety I recognize as having seeds from before I used anything. In having inborn tendencies towards anxiety, I suppose my brain was "pre-ruined." Using substances probably made things worse, and today I probably have some permanent brain effects or damage. I have enough brain left, I would like to think, to have a life with what time remains.

It seems to get worse each time. Does the anxiety and insomnia get better? How long has it lasted? How about depression? I just want to sleep, and feel happy again and less anxious.
Withdrawal, PAWS, and the like, they say, can drag out the bad feelings for a long time--I hear even up to a year or more. Others here will know more about this syndrome.

My experience? Quitting has drastically reduced instances where I manufacture external situations that produce enormous stress. Quitting so far has reduced my problem to managing internal tendencies towards stress, instead of having external train wrecks to also manage (apart from old train wrecks that still need cleaning up).

Does anyone take anything to help get their cortisol back to normal? Maybe Seriphos? How long is this going to take before I feel better?
Regarding my underlying anxiety (and not PAWS), medication has not been a solution for me. I have been through a parade of medicines that never did anything I could notice. I still take a maintenance dose of an SSRI which feels no more effective than a sugar pill to me.

I exercise a great deal, which I find to be an effective partial treatment for anxiety and depression.

Have I permanently ruined my body? I hate alcohol. It has created so many issues for my health and life that I need to fix.
It is crazy, isn't it? I wouldn't give a martini and a cigarette to a dog because I believe it is evil and horrible to torture animals. Yet look at what I have done to myself. Crazy.

This has to get better!
It sounds like you are on a great track to a much, much better life! I am rooting for you!!

Mel