View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
wehav2day

1: finally quit for what I hope is for good at 40. I'm almost 43 now
2: I did whatever it took. I threw **** to the wall until something stuck. Had 6 months sober three times, then this time. Here's how it went: first time- at my partners urging, I visited a substance abuse counselor. Counselor said it's possible I'm an alcoholic, why not try to be sober for 6 months and see how it goes? I was, my life got better, I lost weight, joined a gym, then drank at 6 months and a day, thinking I was cured. (Spoiler alert: I wasn't cured)

Then I sobered up and relapsed a couple more times, and my partner threatened to leave me, and I went into an outpatient program. I sobered up for six months again.

I started to think I could cook with wine, and lo and behold it ended up in my belly. Thankfully that relapse lasted only two months.

Then, I did it all. Posted completely honestly on sr. Went back to counselor for a couple sessions. Went to aa. Got a sponsor. Worked those infernal steps. It took all of that, for me. I'm a slow learner. But I am soooo glad I did ever last bit of it. Well not the relapse part... You can do this!!

3: I stay involved with other alcoholics. I have a network of sober friends, most of whom I met on here but now also know in real life. I thank my higher power for every day and seek guidance because I've seen my way fail a boatload of times. I try my best to be honest all the time cause drunk wehav was a big fat liar.

I hope this helps you! Take care, wehav