View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
TheCrimsonKing

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
In my first ever meeting I think they saw someone who hadn't looked after themselves too well and emphasised HALT.

Hunger
Anger
Loneliness
Tired

These are four common triggers for alcoholics.

One of the first steps to getting better and learning a new responsibility for yourself and your drinking is in being watchful for those HALT triggers, and avoiding them wherever and whenever possible.

I would suggest getting to the first meeting possible, and in the meantime get some food in you to keep your blood-sugar levels up. (Lots of people swear by high sugar in the first few month, but I think that affected my emotional stability.) If you can't eat much at first maybe get some Lucozade Original in - the high glucose one - then you will hopefully feel more like eating shortly after. The meeting will help. I would say def don't isolate, as this won't help. I should imagine that after the meeting you will start feeling more positive and will be able to face work more easily. In the meantime make sure you contact them and don't burn any bridges, but if you haven't eaten then you're going to need to rest a little longer. Not bed rest though. Mind rest. I bet you'll feel much better and ready to face the world after a shower and fresh clothes. (Body first and mind will follow hey).

You can do this, but no-one can eat for you, or get to that meeting for you.

Get yourself an action plan, just for today. It is important to Keep It Simple, but it's also important to actually DO it.

EG.
Wash
Dress
Get food & non-alc drink (even if from an overpriced local store - and avoid walking past the booze if you can)
Have a small meal
Wash up
Go to meeting
Read through AA literature
Write action plan for tomorrow
Sleep

Good luck.
xx

PS - I'd say for first AA meeting, arrive about 10 mins early to the actual start time. And take some tissues (it can be quite overwhelming and lots of people have a few tears. Some people cry loads (I did).
Thanks! I kind of had a 'Roll over and die or get up and fight this bitch' moment. I got up and took a long, long, long shower.....then I scrubbed the place from top to bottom. Meeting would have been on at 7pm but I kept cleaning and then made a meal with what was there. I got a nice walk in which was shaky but good. Up for work the next day, out of sorts a little. Today felt better. I was going to the 7pm meeting tonight but....well boy and girl made up. Just when I accepted it was gone.

I bought a book for my kindle: Alcoholism to Recovery/ I'll Stop Tomorrow. I've been reading that and upon starting it I thought it was going to be waffle...but I've actually been surprised by the descriptions of alcoholic thought patterns. So accurate. Acceptance time. This isn't going away unless I take responsibility for it.

It's interesting you mention the HALT. The last two benders I was seriously lacking in food and in place of going for a nap as I was wrecked...I surfed on the net. Someone recently commented to me that I seem to be seriously affected by my physical state. If I don't eat every 2-3 hours my energy drops drastically and I make...errors.