View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Verte
pray for strength

Awww, Haennie. Huge hugs. Make sure you have all the comforts you need for your flight tomorrow. And excellent headphones. Actually, the airports always have my favorites. I can let you know what kind.

My second year of undergrad I took a "History of US immigration" course that was taught by the most gentle elderly professor and his assistant, a nurse. He told endless stories of his native Czechoslovakia, Prague Spring, a visiting professorship and the decision to remain in the U.S. permanently. This inspired me to spend Spring Break with my own grandparents.

With every question I asked, my grandmother spent hours answering and laughing. At times deeply contemplative, sometimes tearful. I listened...totally engrossed. My grandmother was generally not a 'talker' as I had known her in life up until this visit when she seemed able to talk endlessly. Everything was a revelation. We were both happy. All I did was listen. As it happens, this was the last time we were together in this lifetime.

When choosing a caregiver, I would wonder if your dad needs to tell his story and have someone bear witness at this point. You mentioned in another Thread that he has a very wide social network. What offers him the most peace? Talking, listening, silence, surprise? How receptive is the caregiver to your father's varying emotional needs, revelations, fears. How gentle is s/he?

Thinking of you. Are you afraid of something?