View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AnotherLife

Cognative Dissonance

I hope you guys can help me...

I've been in and out of AA since May 2013,

I'm not making excuses - there has been a lot of changes in my life - and to cut to the chase, I stayed drunk more than I stayed sober.

I went to a big book study meeting tonight, got very little from it, but got into a discussion with someone I gave a lift home to, and landed in territory that I didn't want to talk about. I'm feeling annoyed and confused.

I have been reading about alternatives and AVRT makes sense to me.

The discussion went along the lines of "you don't think you have a disease, you don't think your're powerless, and you don't believe in God, why are you even coming to meetings?"

My answer was " because I have an addiction to alcohol and I don't like it, isn't that the only requirement for attendance?"

I see a lot of sense in 12 step recovery, and I'm certainly no authority on sobriety, but I'm worried about being ousted from AA in my area, because I cannot bring myself to believe certain concepts.

I don't want to convince anyone, or even talk about it. So why can't we leave it at that?

Maybe I'm reading too much into one conversation, but I've got a head full of two opposing methods, and it isn't helping.

Any suggestions?