Old 03-15-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stu Purple
AKA Supersonic

Leaving my addiction behind for a better future

Seven days ago I stopped drinking. There was no final catastrophic misdemeanour that pushed me to call it quits, although there have been plenty in the past. I didn't even realise that I was finished the day after my last drink, it's kind of crept up on me. I've come to realise that I can't cope anymore, and my crutch has become my mortal enemy. Something has to give, and if it's not the drink then it will be my family, my career, or most likely both. I'm 40 yrs old and have been drinking heavily since my teens.

I've 'quit' before, in fact I'm becoming something of an expert at it! With tragic regularity I've blacked out, shamed myself, risked my marriage and my families happiness, not to mention my health. Last weekend when I was away with friends I found out they'd taken bets on how long it would be before I 'lost it'. I think you get the picture.

Anyway, Ive got through the first few days, which were awful as expected. Feeling better now but gorging myself on mainly sugar based snacks. Oh and I gave up smoking a week ago too, not one to do things by halves!

Looking forwad to spending time with you all.