View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
jerri11

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
He has a wonderful survival instinct still, though. Has taken everyone around him in, to help: the postman, the guy who delivers his daily meals, his old friend to drive him to the supermarket weekly and pick him up with a shopping bag, his doctors apparently saying this is old age and nothing else, and his only daughter to transfer his love of "everything" to."
Haennie, this is so hard. I really feel for you. I've been thru this with both parents and one grandmother and it is always hard, and there are no easy answers, unfortunately.

I think it's good that he's already brought in others around him to help in the areas he feels he needs help. Perhaps he might be open to someone coming in a couple times a week to do light housekeeping? If there's someone local that he would be comfortable having in his home, that might be a good compromise.

Also, does he have anyone who might be able to go with him to doctor appointments? It's really easy to miss things when talking to a doctor by yourself, and having an extra set of ears is good idea for everyone with health problems, not just the elderly. Maybe the same friend that takes him shopping?

My thoughts are with you and father.