View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

I'm going through the same thing with my mother right now. Health issues and old age eventually caught up with her.

She lived in a big house all by herself and had to call 911 on several occasions due to falling and other health issues. It was really a scary and unsafe situation.

My siblings and I could've never been able to let her live at one of our houses due to her medical needs and each of us working full time and trying to keep our own families together.

We really tried hard to convince her to move into an assisted living home or independent living where the floor always has staff monitoring the residents. She refused and was scared to death of these places and was very stubborn and only wanted to live in her own house.

It got to the point where living on her own in that big house wasn't possible anymore and we finally (twisted her arm) said she must go into one of these assisted living homes.

And it turns out this is the best thing that ever happened to her and she's happy she did it!

The first one she tried she wasn't crazy about. Then we got her a better one and it's like the perfect spot for her. She has her own apartment. Meals are served in the cafeteria three times a day. They have transportation services for the residents to go grocery shopping and other events as a group....Exercise sessions.

The good part she's never too alone as there's always people there yet she has her own privacy in her own apartment. And caretaking staff is always on the floor if needed.

You didn't mention your father's living situation. But if he's living on his own while aging and having these health issues, I would suggest looking into an assisted living/independent living home where there's staff always there to help.