View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
EndGame, with all due respect, it's meaningless without a stated interpretation. If someone finds meaning "in" it, and it's not what you intended, then I would suggest that it's just a projection. Isn't the point of using words to share meaning?
I don't take any offense, but I'm surprised that a seemingly random title for my post has drawn attention. I could just have easily have written, "With so much horseshit, there must be a pony." Now that I think of it, maybe that would have made more "sense?" I don't know.

Perhaps this would be a good time for me to register my dislike for certain titles? Like, "I drank last night..." Followed in the body of the post with something like "...and it was the best green tea I've ever had!" I find such bait-and-switch titles to be manipulative and sometimes disheartening, even though they're likely meant to convey humor. My third grade teacher pretended to faint, and then to be dead, on April Fools Day. Few of us thought that was funny.

Anyway, the use of metaphor also conveys meaning, often in a much more powerful way than simple descriptive or explanatory sentences do. I'm not always certain of my meaning when I write. Unless I am.

The poet says much more than he intends to say. The philosopher says exactly what he wants to say and no more.

Different strokes?