View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Next Phase

Not all good, but not a catastrophe.

Mary Ann's surgeon told her that they found indications of cancer away from her brain, so she needs to see an oncologist, someone who specializes in chemotherapy and someone who specializes in radiation therapy next week. She was, of course, distraught. I was again grateful that I was able to be there for her. He also told her that, otherwise, she is in good health, a surprise for both of us.

Later on, we spoke about things like the power of support. I told her about the details of my relapse through my recovery (the short version) for the first time, focusing on the crucial role that support played and continues to play in my recovery. If you know my story, then you know that it did not at all resemble a straight line from relapse to recovery. She seems open to whatever it is that might help her, but it's still early. I'm expecting mood swings and, eventually, rage, which will be a good thing.

She's also talking about the idea of not returning to work at all, having in her own way bottomed out on taking care of people at work, which is a significant part of her personal and professional history. Putting out fires, cleaning up messes, righting other people's wrongs...Despite the fact that doing this has contributed to her great success, she's just tired of it all right now, and more interested in taking care of herself. I was very happy hear this.

Will continue to update.