View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hey, great topic I've been interested in psychology since my early teens really... and wanted to become a professional also when I was in high school. I changed directions later, but have come back into it massively in my 30's... well that's a long and personal story and may not be too relevant here. I'm also in a related field now professionally.

When I got sober, after about 2 months, I decided that I really wanted to get into therapy. But was a bit confused how to start it, despite what I considered a pretty above average knowledge about it. So, like you now, I started asking around, both in my professional circuits, among my friends, and on SR. I think there are a few possibilities to get it started. One that I tried was signing up with an academic type program that provides various psychotherapy approaches, depending on individual assessment. Where I live, there are institutions and university sections for this. You contact them, submit an application (it usually asks you to detail why you are seeking therapy and some standard simple history). Then you can go in for an intake interview with a counselor, where you can say much more, and they also ask questions. Then they may assign a therapist to you based on the application and interview results. Where I live, they also often have sliding scale payment, if you worry about finances.

I did this at two different places, and at both I was quite impressed by the process and by their professionalism. I then chose one of the places, and to see the therapist they chose for me. It wasn't an inappropriate designation at all, much more that I'm just far too aware of what and who I like and want at a given time. I did not feel that particular therapist could have brought that to me. But he, and the institution that hosted him, were very helpful to give me ideas how to look specifically for what (who) I wanted. They did not refer me, just gave me a few guidelines.

Then I started to do my own research... took a couple weeks. I thought as deeply as I could about what my goals were. There is a lot about therapy online, you can view sessions, for example... using different approaches. I watched tons of Youtube videos. Some are very artificial and others are better, but I found that a good help in my search. I also started to research available therapists online, once I'd identified the approach I was going with at the time.

This is a good resource in the US, just as an idea... maybe there are equivalents in Canada?
https://therapists.psychologytoday.c...rof_search.php

The approach I chose back then was "existential therapy" -- mostly because the theoretical framework of it was very familiar to me, very natural given my own personality, interests, thinking style. So I went with one of these therapists that I found, for nearly a year. He was a more senior person and I did it in private (means out of my pocket) because he seemed to be everything I wanted at the time. We also had a superb interpersonal connection (I come back to this later).

A year forward, and I've learned so much! Just more recently, I changed my therapy, building on the first year's progress and on the relationship with my first therapist. I just started with a new one, and this is also a somewhat different approach compared with my first choice. I'm doing psychoanalysis now, 3x a week. My current analyst was referred to me by the previous therapist. Only positives to say so far, and I also feel that if anything, this is yet another very natural method for me, so easy for me to align with it. Like recovery methods. Find what works.

So, I think therapy is a journey... just like recovery. A very important thing I would like emphasize is that therapy tends to serve us best if it's a good working relationship. In this sense, it's different from what we are used to with doctors, for example. The interpersonal connection is something I tend to be naturally aware of with people, so this seems to serve me well with my therapist choices also. But even if your instincts are not that sharp in this, do go with who you like in a personal way.

I don't want to give you specific or practical advice because in this matter, I think it's best if we figure these out ourselves. Just my experience; and will add that therapy, for me, is something that's pretty far beyond just a treatment form... it's a continuous and potentially endless learning trip. I enjoy it a lot and I can totally see myself as someone doing it for the rest of my life.