View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Justincredible

Types of therapy

So I have been thinking of seeing a therapist. I saw an addiction counsellor when I got sober but I think I got everything I needed out of her sessions with me. I am now thinking of addressing some of the underlying issues as well as how my divorce is affecting me sub-consciously. Consciously I feel positive about it, strangely guilty for feeling positive about it. Liberated is the word I find, even though everybody around me seems to approach me with pity which is annoying as all heck. Feels bad just typing that.

In regards to therapy, I have heard of different types but really don't know what they mean, but I would like to specialize on ones that sound like they would be most beneficial. Or, should I just trust that the therapist I am "assigned" to do his/her job with me. The good thing is that I won't have to pay for it, because Canada has socialized health care, but the downside is that I don't really have a choice up front in the therapist and style of therapy before I go into it. I can make suggestions, or ask about different techniques once I am "in" with the therapist. Maybe I should just dive in and hope that it has some profound healing effects on me, or is there something specific that has really helped people grow in recovery and move forward?