Thread: advice please!
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
lillamy

Back in January, he had tried to "moderate" and not drink, and you said:

my thinking is because he is handling not drinking so well and talking about all the positives, and how he isn't craving, and how he went out last night with friends and the kids and drove home was really good for him and he really wants to change, I am thinking maybe he isn't a tru alcoholic because he is handling it so well. the penny has dropped for him and he is genuine.
Did you ever go to Al-Anon? I think you would find a lot of support there, because what your husband is doing is pretty typical alcoholic behavior.

You tell him his drinking is a problem. He says it's not for him, and you shouldn't try to change him because he's happy as it is. You say you're going to Al-Anon. He gets worried and cleans the booze out of the house and doesn't drink for a while. He convinces you he's seen the light and he's all good now and won't drink.

And then he drinks and the whole thing starts over again.

I think you could choose to ignore the question "is he really an alcoholic?" and focus instead on the fact that his drinking is a problem for you, and you have every right to feel that way.

Doesn't matter what you call it. If it's a problem for you, then it is a problem.