Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I'm not an active member of AA but I do benefit from getting inspiration from things and concepts that are "beyond me" as an individual, both in my recovery and in my everyday life in general. I've never been able to use esoteric powers much in my thinking and as guidance, even though I tend to be interested in such things out of curiosity about the unknown. I'm not an atheist either, more the textbook agnostic.

I'm also someone who can draw a lot of useful wisdom and guidance from Buddhism, and in the context of this discussion, I tend to benefit from what is known as the theory of Karma in Buddhism. Universal law of cause and effect, action-reaction, basically that we do not exist as disconnected, isolated beings, but everything in nature is interconnected, events influence each-other often even when we do not directly see it. So my decisions, what I do and the way I live are continuously influenced by other people and my environment, and I also influence these with my actions. I cannot see anything in nature as isolated component, it's more a giant karmic network of inter-dependence.

If you want something similar from science, I'm very much a fan of Chaos Theory and the Butterfly Effect, which describe somewhat similar things as natural phenomena.

In terms a good way of being and ethical framework, I very much like the Noble Eightfold Path from Buddhism, again.