View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
MesaMan

As I made Pals around the World in High Tech, we'd let our Hair down and discuss significant 'stuff'. This was part of the Int'l fun for this Ham Radio Geek, who was talking to the World via Morse Code Key by age 12. Forum-style exchange goes back ~50 years for me.

A Japanese Pal I trained made an impassioned Case for Japan harvesting Whales. An old and dear Cultural Practice. They liked the taste [I never tried it]. Most importantly, he hit me right between the Eyes with the POV that the surrounding Ocean was identical to a Kansas City Feedlot. Whales were their Cattle. I could hardly make a Case for our 'kind' treatment of Cattle within that Industry, knowing what I know from Life in Rural Colorado. More to the point, Objective Analysis goes only so far. The Japanese felt they were 'right' about their Whaling. Screw Cultural 'Invaders' like 'Greenpeace'. Back then, ~130 Million Persons living in an area roughly the size of Montana were doing what they felt they had to do, and had a right to do: harvesting Whales.

The fundamental paradigm shift required for me to integrate this POV vs. the POV of non-Japanese was one of many encounters leading me to accept that firmly-held POVs can differ substantially between those having earnest intentions.

I apply what I learned Int'l to all sorts of Topics, including ones here on SR. My Recovery Method, and my inarguable state of being irreversibly Sober, transcends theoretical Relapses, or 'cautionary' Brain Scan info. As interested as I am in such Research, arcane points around Internal vs. External assessment of Sobriety often remind me of impassioned arguments we'd have back in High School Student Government. Occasional good fun - or else I wouldn't be here - but not a Variable that affects my actual Sobriety. It's a safe bet that about everyone feels similarly passionate.

For me, the ongoing question here - and on other Forums - is: can Folks genuinely accept very fundamental, Good Faith differences on everything from the best Target Shooting Rifle to Global Warming Trend Data to the very personal matter of Recovery Methods. This Dynamic is what interests me. Not so much the actual Recovery Method proper. And, definitely not 'Belly Bumping' on Cherry-picked Quotes that ignore the thematic gist of a sincere Post.

Today is just another great, Sunny day in which I'm gonna get stuff done, and enjoy Life w/o a Snowball's chance of Relapse. Such is the power of the Mind; regardless from where that Resolve is thought to emanate.

-----